Friday, December 11, 2015

Final Workshop Reflection.


I never knew that creative writing was a thing but it is nice doing your own thing in writing. I am used to journaling every day, I write about my day, my feelings, new experiences and my favorite, jotting down quotes I come up with. I have written creative nonfiction before but this course was different for me because topics were given to me which allowed me to start somewhere. One of the most difficult part of creative nonfiction for me is having a good start and ending. Wrapping up is always a struggle for me because highlighting the entire story once more does not do the job, I feel like it should have some sort of thesis.

There were so many great readings in class. My favorite had to be “In Cold Blood” by Truman Capote. This was one of the first readings we did and it stuck with me because the story itself is pretty fascinating. This reading was one of the best description pieces we read in class, in my opinion. I enjoyed the first fifteen pages so much I bought the book and can not wait to finish it so I can watch the movie afterwards.

My favorite piece of writing of my own was my description piece of a concert. I enjoyed seeing how fun it is to analyze a moment in your life and bring it to life in your writing. It gave me a mind of creativity. My piece was called “Forest Hill Drive 2015“which was the name of the tour:

“The beginning of our cab ride was like any other cab ride with girls sitting in the back, a photoshoot. Flashes are going off from the right and left side, the hot summer wind coming in from all four windows, hairs are blowing, laughter is being shared with a soft scream because our hair is getting stuck to our lips from all the lip gloss and then it stopped. The cab driver initiated a conversation asking us who was at the garden, “J Cole. He’s my favorite rapper.” With nothing else being said the cab driver picked up his pace and started to drive faster.”

Although this was fun and I would love to attend more concerts and write a good experience that would make other people want to go, I am not sure what type of journalism I want to do. I like writing with no rules because I want to stay true to myself and belief.

No comments:

Post a Comment