Monday, December 7, 2015

Responding to a piece of literary journalism

When Mom Steals From Her Kid
http://www.narrative.ly/mommy-dearest/when-mom-steals-from-her-kid-2/

What really grabbed my attention to read this piece of literary journalism was the intro which was "One of the hardest things about being a seven-year-old with a drug-addicted mother was realizing why everything from piles of pennies to my most prized possessions slowly went missing." This entire post is about a girl who is most likely older now, remembering the times when her mother would steal from her when she was younger. Their life does not seem great as Laura (the young girl) describes her living conditions which did not seem safe at all. I think its amazing being able to see the life of someone who has to deal with their parent being a drug addict when they are the ones who are completely sane. Its also sad to know that things like this actually exists. I only seen such terrible scenes in a movie which is why I think the writer chose to write about this to bring awareness. The writer is the character. One quote I enjoyed reading was "Later on that night, my stepfather sidled into my room after bedtime, after my mother gave me a stiff “goodnight” and refused to read me a bedtime story because she was “too tired.” " I was pretty impressed seeing that her six year old self was able to acknowledge pettiness from her mother who didn't read her a book because she didn't give her her ten dollars that she has earned. I really enjoy the dialogue shared in this piece and description which makes this profile good. 


No comments:

Post a Comment